These stuffed shells are easy to make and would be good to make for a potluck or a party. It can be customized so many different ways. I decided to choose a bit of a healthier option by using ground turkey and light cream cheese.
Prep time: 5 miutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 7 servings
Serving size: 2 shells
- 14 jumbo pasta shells (add more in case of mistakes)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 (8 oz.) block of light cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup salsa
- Shredded cheese
Feel free to make this recipe your own. You can add things like corn or bell peppers, use a variety of salsas, swap for a different kind of meat, or use any kind of cream cheese you prefer. I think it would be good topped with tortilla strips as well to give it a little bit of crunch.
- Boil pasta to al dente. This means, stopping the cooking process while it is still a little firm so it will be easy to stuff and the rest of the cooking process can be done in the oven. You can tell by poking them with a fork and making sure that there is not too much resistance but still a little bit of “bite.”
- Meanwhile, cook meat fully and add in onions, taco seasoning, and water. Stir until well combined.
- Place cream cheese into skillet and melt and combine until fully incorporated. Keep warm on low heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread about 1/2 cup of salsa on bottom of baking dish. Stuff shells and place face up in baking dish. Top with remaining salsa and shredded cheese and bake for 15 minutes and serve.